Hubley Happenings

Hubley Happenings
Angel Fire Summer 2014

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 3/7

I think Henry got up two times last night, but I can’t remember. I know he woke up at 1, but the 4am feeding is a little fuzzy. I think it happened, but I’m not positive.

Nathan was feeling much better this morning and woke up hungry, so Scott made pancakes for breakfast.



I finished feeding Henry and then joined the boys at the table around 7. Nathan had four pancakes and wanted the last two, but we told them they were for Hannah (she was still sleeping). This set him off. I know it seems like he has lots of fits, and he probably does, but he’s also very sweet. His three’s have been so much worse than the “terrible two’s.” I used to think there was something wrong with Hannah when she pitched these fits, but I see now it’s just part of being a toddler. There is no amount of spankings, time-outs, etc that will stop it. I’ve found the best thing (for us) is to make them go to their room to have the fit and just try and ignore it. That’s easier said than done but when I get angry or frustrated, my kids smell fear and they don’t back down! Anyway, this isn’t a parenting blog, so on with our day.

Nathan finally calmed down and apologized for his behavior. He told me it was hard to have self-control in the mornings. I told him I completely understand. Mommy has a hard time with self control all day…especially before my coffee!

When Henry went down for his morning nap, the kids once again played really well together for about an hour in Hannah’s room. I picked up the house and packed a picnic lunch. I’ve been saving bread heels for a while so we could go feed the ducks at a local park. I thought today was the perfect day since we’ve been inside a lot.

Hannah read us a bible story in the car and then we rocked out to Alan Jackson’s Precious Memories CD. They really like Washed in the Blood and I’ll Fly Away.

We met some friends at the park and the kids played, fed the ducks and then we ate lunch.





Nathan was so tired. I really thought he would go to sleep in the car, but he didn’t. We got home and I told him when he was ready he could take a nap. Remember yesterday when I said sometimes that doesn’t work? Well, it didn’t work today. He went to his room but only for about five minutes. Hannah was playing in her room and I needed to put Henry down, so I told him to go back to his room. When I was finished, I came out to check on them and I couldn’t find Nathan. He wasn’t in his room, the living room, my room or with Hannah. I had a quick panic attack and checked all the doors. They were still locked, so I knew he was in the house somewhere. This is where I found him. He was tucked under the cushions on the couch in the toy room.


He woke up shortly after I took this picture. It must have been a ten minute power nap because he was in a much better mood.

While Henry was sleeping, I vacuumed the house. I usually don’t clean this much but the house is really dirty. Since I can’t clean everything in one day, I do a little bit at a time. I should probably dust before I vacuum, but I felt like vacuuming today and wanted to take advantage of the cleaning urge. Maybe I’ll mop tomorrow.

The afternoon was rough but we made it. The kids were fighting and I kept having to separate them. We did have a few good moments in between though.



Henry didn’t take his late nap and was really fussy, so I put him in the sling and fixed dinner. Then it was off to the bath. I put the big kids in and let them play while I bathed Henry. I got him settled in his crib watching his mobile and then bathed Hannah and Nathan. By that time Scott was home and he took over. I put Henry down at 7 while Scott read to Hannah and Nathan and then they went to bed shortly after that. The only thing that’s nice about no naps…early bedtime!

I went outside to water my plants and noticed a section of weeds in my flower bed. We’re having people over for dinner tomorrow night, so I spent about thirty minutes pulling them out. I couldn’t stop. It was nice and quiet and very therapeutic.

No comments: