I spent the last 3 days repairing my sewer line in the front yard. This is the type of project that makes me appreciate my desk job. We have had a slow drain recently, and all my efforts of snaking the line were not successful. We had the City come look at it and they located a damaged portion after running a camera down the line. I called a plumber and they gave me 2 options: clean the line with a high pressure jet of water for $500 (temporary fix) or repair the damaged joint for $3200 (semi-permanent fix, this would require a permit from the city and would lead to other improvements to make everything meet current code which drove up the cost).
I decided to do it myself. It cost me about 20 hours of labor and $50 for parts. As you might expect, it included several trips to the hardware store, including one on New Year's Eve after Home Depot had already closed (I knocked on the door and they ended up "donating" the parts I needed because their computers were already turned off). Special thanks to Jeremy (digging the hole) and Craig (plumbing/pipe fitting) for their help. I wouldn't have been able to do this without them. I'm still praying that my work sticks. Below are some pictures.
|This is the damaged joint. I was expecting a bend but found a wye. This was when I learned that I had 2 service lines coming from my house.|
|This was the scene in my front yard for most of the project.|
|Here is the repaired joint.|
|This is the hole filled in.|