Hubley Happenings

Hubley Happenings
Angel Fire Summer 2014

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Christmas Break Ski Trip 2014

We spent about a week in Angel Fire skiing between Christmas and New Year’s.  We got there on Sunday, rented skis, and settled in. Monday was the first day to ski, but the crowds were so bad that we didn’t ski long.  Tuesday was bitter cold.  The forecast high at the base was 12 degrees, and they were reporting –25 windchill at the top of the mountain.  The kids stayed at the house, but Jennifer and I skied.  We could only do about three runs at a time without getting too cold.  My goggles fogged over and then froze.  It was pretty cold.  But Wednesday and Thursday was great weather (upper 20s) and we all skied quite a bit.  Both of the kids even did a blue for the first time on Thursday!  On Friday, we packed up and drove back to Fort Worth.  Here are some pictures and videos from our trip.

Nathan just hanging out playing some music


Amber and Lance happened to be skiing in Red River at the same time, so they came over on Monday and the kids did some sledding.

I had to get the sledding track ready for them



We got in the hot tub several times


Henry never really left the house.  Thanks to Nana and Pappy for taking turns watching him so we could ski.


We watched lots of football, including the Aggies, the Cowboys, and several bowl games.  I think Henry is starting to like it


Getting the kids ready to ski is a pretty big effort.  Here we are ready to head out


The first couple of days I kept Nathan on the bunny slope.  He picked it up pretty quickly.  Here is a video of both of Hannah and Nathan on the last day. Hannah is in the white jacket in front of Nathan. Jennifer was nervous the whole time. She kept telling them to slow down.

On Thursday, we ate lunch on the mountain.  It was funny because Hannah was tired and Jennifer told her they would ride to the top and get hot cocoa. I had already started down the backside so Jennifer had to convince her to ski down again for hot cocoa at the bottom. We went in the warming hut at the bottom and of course the café was closed.  Hannah was not happy.  So we had to ride up again to the warming hut at the top.  She cheered up pretty quickly when we finally got inside.



Nathan was a perfect angel during Hannah’s meltdown, but when we finally sat down he crashed.


Afterwards we went outside and took a few family pics.


“All done”


We had so much fun and can’t wait to go back.  I think the kids may go again at Spring Break.

1 comment:

Z said...

Impressive skiing on the video! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.