Hubley Happenings

Hubley Happenings
Angel Fire Summer 2014

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Softball

Jennifer is on a softball team with our small group, and I am an alternate by default. So far, I've played in both games. We won the first game by a run rule and lost the second by a run rule. Jennifer played in high school, so she has some experience. She was a little rusty the first game, but is really coming on strong now. On the other hand, I haven't played any kind of baseball since elementary school, and I wasn't any good then. Tonight was a pretty rough game......already losing big and about to get the game called by the ump, I led off in the 4th inning. I got on base and had in my mind that I was going to push for extra bases every time since we were so far down. Our next batter hit an infield grounder and was thrown out at first. I made it to 2nd by about the time the short stop was throwing to 1st, so I turned the corner thinking I could make it to 3rd. They had a girl on 1st and I figured there was no way she could get it to the 3rd baseman......well, she did. I was just about there and I heard the 3rd basemen catch the ball. All I could see was the base, and knowing I should have stopped at 2nd, I wanted to justify myself. So I dove.....

I actually made it to the base, but I went to fast and came off the base and got tagged. OUT!!! Double play. And now I have a scrape on my knee, a strawberry on my side, and beat up hand.

Let this be a lesson to you readers out there (if there are any left): don't slide in slow pitch softball. It's not worth it.

2 comments:

becca said...

Oh brother, always a flare for the dramatic...

Donald and Angela said...

There are definitely readers!

This is actually Angela - great softball story - sorry about the double play :(

Jennifer - hope to meet you soon! We really all should get together for dinner...